Our robust Wilderness and Bear Awareness online course provides critical information for people working or enjoying activities in wilderness environments.
WILDERNESS AWARENESS ONLINE COURSE OVERVIEW
The biggest danger that people face in outdoor survival situations is being unprepared. This elearning course, which includes interviews with experts on various aspects of outdoor survival, provides valuable information that could assist you in handling most situations that you may encounter in the outdoors when help isn’t just around the corner.
WILDERNESS & BEAR AWARENESS ONLINE COURSE TOPICS
- Responding appropriately to encounters with cougars, moose, elk, wolves, or snakes in the wild
- Minimizing and treating bites and stings from wood ticks, mosquitoes, and bees
- Bear awareness
- Physical differences and general characteristics of bears
- Bear behaviour and body language
- Food sources
- Food storage in a campsite
- Hunting, camping, and travelling safely in bear country
- Avoiding bear encounters
- Recognizing and reacting to defensive and non-defensive attacks
- When and how to play dead
- Using and handling bear spray
- Reducing exposure to Lyme disease
- Building emergency shelters in winter and summer months
- Reacting to lightning
- Staying safe around trees during normal and high-wind situations
- Signalling for help
- Making water safe for drinking
- Preventing hypothermia and frostbite
WILDERNESS AWARENESS ONLINE COURSE DURATION:
Approximately 150 minutes, depending on the learner.
WILDERNESS AWARENESS ASSESSMENT:
Testing conducted in this online Wilderness Awareness course is designed to reinforce the information presented. A mark of 80% must be achieved in order to receive a certificate of completion. Participants are able to repeat the course twice if the pass mark is not achieved.
WILDERNESS AWARENESS ONLINE CERTIFICATE OF COMPLETION:
Upon successful completion of this online course, a certificate of completion will be available to download and print.
This course was created using standards that will allow playback on most internet capable devices with standard web browsing capabilities including Apple’s iTouch, iPad, and iPhone, as well as most other smart phones and tablets including those with Android and Windows operating systems.